Sunday, January 08, 2006

A Memory

I suddenly miss having to work in the dental bus. The indolent days, knowing the best places around to eat, coming late and leaving early.

There was a girl, 13 years old. She was called Yiting. She was too dark, had single eyelids, a very pronounced forehead, and the bimaxillary protrusion common in most Chinese that made their mouths perpetually puckered. She could have been called ugly.

There are some people who invoke a response in you despite all professional and mental objectivity. I felt an overwhelming sympathy towards her, singled out from amongst the hundreds of students. She never looked directly at me, hardly uttered a word, only smiled through her small eyes. She was always calm.

She required several fillings lasting 3 visits, and not once did she complain or whimper in pain from the needle and drill. She accepted everything I said. When she was waiting for her turn she sat quietly on the tiny bench in the room, resting her huge pink bag on her knees.

I gave her my best care, all the toothbrushes I could find, yet at the end I felt a strange and terrible sadness. This was how she would be, all her life, never complaining, quiet, always watchfully there. She said goodbye and left, and I strained from the window to see where she went.

She meandered towards the canteen, and noting that her friends were not there, turned towards the gates. I hope that she will be truly happy, and that one day I will see her again. I must never forget that its as simple as that.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i may have told you before, i'm not sure, but you're the best writer i know.

re: unfortunate people, for me, these observations reaffirm my belief that if there is a god, then he isn't anything like what mainstream protestants imagine.

Imagine someone who allows kids to be born deformed or worse, why the heck would he care about stupid prayers abt healing sick pple, business and $$, better grades etc.

- gluino

6:53 AM

 
Blogger Terry said...

thanks gluino, and you're the best person i know who grossly under-estimates himself.

come now, surely you don't believe that the religious equation is as simple as that.

8:28 AM

 
Blogger cp said...

Did you play Dungeons & Dragons, the roleplaying game? In the second edition, Charisma is a statistic (like Strength, Intelligence, Dexterity, etc) that measured how pretty you were. If you were high in Charisma, you could buy things more cheaply in towns. That's all. Nobody put stat points (a limited resource) in Charisma back then.

In the third edition, the rules changed. I quote from the rules book: "This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting." To prove that this is not mere fluff or flavour text, the rules provide that a sorceror's spells are more powerful (fireballs dealt more damage, etc) the higher his Charisma is. It is, in the fantasy world of 3rd Ed D$D, an objective entity.

While supeficial, especially in this (real) environment of modernist, post-structuralist discourse, I think it strikes a very rough-hewn truth: that one is never really ugly if one isn't. I mean, Judi Dench is no looker, but by golly she is magnificent.

I thought the way you wrote her made her very tolerable, bimaxillary protrusion and all.

8:52 AM

 
Blogger Terry said...

Interesting, because I read that one of the definitions of Charisma is a "sense of purpose and self-belief almost religious in nature."

Which is why, I guess, they included it as an important clerical attribute in the 3rd edition!

To me Judi Dench is charismatic not only because of her exquisite employment of Voice (what a Rev Mother she would be), but because of the flagrant intensity of her gaze and bearing, often hinting at the divine.

6:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed, I don't know anything abt the "religious equation", if there is such an objective truth of the matter, knowable by people.

I was saying what I think (possibly mistakenly) is the mainstream view of what the protestant god is like.

I dunno abt constantly praising and thanking god, tt might do something for him/you, but if you pray for anything that's based on your earthly life, I think that the fact that he allows some infants to be born into such disadvantage, to be proof that he probably wouldn't give a damn abt prayers asking for more mundane things, no matter how much you worship him.

1:00 PM

 
Blogger Terry said...

Well, He exalts such infants beyond all others. It's beyond logical comprehension, I know. Don't worry, I have not undergone a spiritual revival. I'm still the same debauched back-slider that you know. But there are some things you just can't deny.

9:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home