Thursday, May 15, 2008

7.15 pm

I find myself, after all this time, back on the terrace of NUSS. The manager (Gluno? Gludio?) smiles, but does not come over to chat. Its been 4 years since I last came regularly, and the rapport we enjoyed is lost. I take a seat next to the edge of the grass, ordering a Pimm's No. 1 with Sprite. The drink tastes like sunset.

As if on cue, the sky blushes indigo, then leeches away in rivulets of salmon pink. Still months before I leave, but I already miss this coral transformation. Recently, I was led by hubris and recklessness into committing a huge mistake. The storm of events surrounding it flung me into its eye, but I survived, finally realizing what was at stake. Such a high price, but necessary, I believe. Always necessary.

Even the sun must reach its nadir before rising again, and I quickly order another drink to stave off more cliched philosophical indulgence. Lesson learnt. No longer am I victim to pride. The lights of the Conrad come on, followed by the Pan Pacific. Beyond this, like clockwork, the glowing pyramidal roof of Capitol Tower, its colours changing.

4 years from now, when I finally return, everything on this terrace will be exactly the same. Nothing, yet everything will have changed. Oh no, there I go again. One more drink then, and one for the road. It's going to be a beautiful night, but I can hardly wait for the sun to rise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home