The Gift
Most people remain static all their lives. They do not change, and cannot change. They are the same now as they will be 5 years from now, 10 years from now. I believe that in this whole world, it is this prospect that fills me with the most dread.
Look around you, and you will see the living dead. Nothing is more common, and more sad, then he who thinks he has seen it all, who feels that he has reached sufficiency in the sum total of his experience, who feels that he can only be completed by anything other than himself.
I reject this. I reject the notion that the meaning of life is the pursuit of a car, a condo, or even true love. I refuse to awaken 20 years from now and look into the face of a stranger, where the pursuit of a stranger has been idealized to become far more acceptable than the company of one. No. The meaning of life is the pursuit of life.
I have been told today, on my 28th birthday, that by September this year I will be in London. I will spend the next 3 years there obtaining my Masters. Finally, returning to the city of my dreams and nightmares, where I spent 3 of the best and worse years of my childhood in.
I think I am ready to face that challenge anew, and to grow some more. This must be the best gift I have given to myself.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home