Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Y's

I was born in 1980, but am a child of the 90's, the generation that does not ask why, but why not. Had Sunday dim sum brunch with Ed and Sherine at Tung Hai. I love Chinese food more and more as I get older. We couldn't resist ordering the Yam Bears.


After that we partook of a deed so dastardly I dread to write it down as the ramifications would be endlessly humiliating. Sherine persuaded us to thread our eyebrows. Which we did. Ouch.

We strolled down Orchard Rd, something I hadn't done in ages. Everyone on the street reminded me of myself 8 years ago; now I push the envelope of youth, so much so that I had to duck into Cortina Watches in Paragon, where the astounding beauty and breath-taking price-tag of a Jaeger Grand Complication reminded me that there were far more things in life waiting to be dreamt of and attained.

We stopped at HMV, and in yet another effort to tighten a frayed connection to the new millenium I bought One by Dirty Vegas and Goldfrapp's Supernature, all the while casting through the Pop/Rock section to linger with nostalgia upon Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Towards Ecstacy and Counting Crow's Recovering The Satellites.

And then it was down to Raffles City, wandering the floors until we felt our stomaches growl once more, descending like hawks upon Menotti for two delicious poached eggs on spinach and Ciabatta, followed by an orgy of dessert. That diet is just gonna have to wait.

I got onto the bus with Sherine as evening folded and deepened with the promise of the new week to come. It seemed like more and more youngsters were appearing on the streets, intent on milking the last of the weekend. But like I said, I'm a child of the 90's, and I no longer pretend to understand the mechinations of the times. I was only grateful to be heading home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home