Army Daze
Just now I met up with Madhev, Kenny, Max, Sunny and Adrian for drinks at Boat Quay. 5 years ago we sat around in uniform, dreaming of ORD. Then, the only differences between us lay in the number of stripes on our sleeves; we were united in the singular purpose of surviving the military. Today, we have become a dentist, a lawyer, a social worker, a banker, an IT specialist and an administrater.
The names and faces that were our lives just 5 years ago have become hazy phantoms we struggled to resurrect from memory. We wondered what became of the drunken warrant officer, the drug-addict lance-corporal, the sadistic drill sergeant, the corrupt lieutenant.
To this day, I always proclaim that the Army was one of the best times of my life. Not because I eventually landed a relaxing job. I too did my fair share of trench-digging, live-firing, route-marches, guard-duties, and push-ups, and I love it all only on hindsight.
More then that, the Army teaches you how to deal with superiors who are often stupid. How to turn the most regimented, hostile situation to your favour. How to be hand-cuffed to someone you are escorting to detention - how to understand him as a friend, whilst understanding that he may lunge out of the moving vehicle with you in tow. How to be comrades with those you will never see in your own circles, ever.
Above all, it teaches you how to appreciate the real world: that at the end of this 2.5 year dream, the people you will reminisce with 5 years down the road are only those like-minded individuals, who also happen to hold down steady values and jobs. And that's life, really.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home