Blink
I'm currently fascinated by this book, which speaks about the power of intuition and snap judgement, and how it influences one's decision, often subconsciously, on the most profound level.
It brings to mind one of my favourite series of novels, Frank Herbert's seminal Dune, where not only does he create a richly stunning socio-political piece of science fiction, but also, 40 years ago when it was first released, gave great insight into the details of human minutae.
In it, a sisterhood called the Bene Gesserit have trained their acolytes to the highest possible levels of human self-awareness. Not only do these woman possess extraordinary philosophy and neurological control allowing them to kill or perform physical tasks with sheer precision, but they have also perfected the art of split-second sensory observation.
As a result, even the slightest twitch, pupil dilation or change in expression of another party is registered, and true meaning interpreted, often to the erroneous accusation of mind-reading. They note vocal tone and inflection, and are able to influence the thinking and even actions of the other party by likewise modulating the way they speak. There is nothing mystical nor supernatural about their powers.
40 years on, Frank Herbert's fictional creation still holds to me a sense of plausible wonder, where Bene Gesserit prana-bindu nerve induction training manifests itself in today's true yogi, and their mastery over the intuitive and cognitive subconscious holds tempting sway over the shady areas of what is still considered psychological science in its infancy.
I digress. Actually what I wanted to say was that I've started learning yoga, and I love it!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home