Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Land's End

"We have reached the most southerly habitation of the world, a town born of the chance presence of a little mud between timeless lava and the austral ice.

I landed in the peace of evening. Punta Arenas! I leaned against a fountain and looked at the girls in the square. Standing there within a couple of feet of their grace, I felt more poignantly then ever the human mystery.

In a world where life so perfectly responds to life, where flowers mingle with flowers in the wind's eye, where the swan is the familiar of all swans, man alone builds his isolation. What a space between men their spiritual natures create! A girl's reverie isolates her from me, and how shall I enter into it?

More surely then if she were on another planet, I feel her to be locked up in her own language, in her secrets, in her habits, in the singing echoes of her own memory. Born yesterday of volcanoes, of greenswards, of brine of the sea, she walks here already half divine."

- Antoine De Saint-Exupery, Wind, Sand and Stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home