An Eulogy
Of all the animals in her life, my mother respected the long neck turtle most. The current was too strong for him, she accused, as I fished him from the pond. But surely such freedom was better by far then a foot-long plastic tank with hardly even room to turn around.
As with all families, mine has been marked with transformation. Growing up, renovations, overseas postings - these chapters have come and gone, leaving us a little better or worse off, but changed nonetheless.
Why we attach so much sentiment to animals is because despite the fact that they age, their natures do not. They remain, till the day they die, beautiful, unaffected, and without self-doubt.
Other then Lance, this turtle was the only thing that emerged with us from the 90's. For 11 years he captivated us with his curiosity, apetite, and tenacity. His passing truly closes another chapter.
But I'm not discouraged. He lived well, and symbolized the beginning of a life-long passion, which I will ardently pursue till the day I die.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home