Friday, August 13, 2004

Flying Daggers

Just watched House of Flying Daggers, which was better than Hero, which sucked. Never mind that it stretched Zhang Ziyi's kung-fu likeability to the limits, or that it contained countless rehashes from Crouching Tiger and Hero ie. bamboo treetop scene, twirling robes scene, snogging in open field like pigs scene. The colours, as with all Zhang Yimou's films, were picture perfect. The slow-mo's would put the Matrix to shame.

But he should just stick to what he does best: semi-pandering to the West with films about China's social ills, rather then fully pandering to the West with films about China's mythological past. Raise the red Lantern was great. Not One Less was simply brilliant.

But anyway, I love wuxia films. To understand them better, I forced myself to read Jin Yong back in a time where Chinese to me was like algebra to a retard. I still worship Ling Ching Hsia in all her invincible, hermaphroditic glory.

I just caught on cable the 60's masterpiece Ainu, way ahead of its time with grand themes of lesbianism, S & M and multiple rape, and who's plot was ripped off by Kill Bill. These are the things the world should see, if they really want to know the fantasies of the Chinese heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home