Monday, October 16, 2006

Lost

I lost my handphone for the first time in my life. I left it in a taxi whilst rushing down to church. Of course, I never backed up my SIM card. I ran like the wind into the church hall, borrowed my friend's phone, and dashed out just as the metal grills slammed shut behind me.

I called my number but the phone had been purposely switched off. After a few tries I cancelled my line, lodged a report with the taxi company, and stared out into the heat of the afternoon, trying not to step into Satan's old That's-What-Happens-When-You-Try-To-Be-Holy trap.

And to think that half an hour ago I was waiting by the roadside for a taxi, just about to turn back for home because I would be late for service and hence locked out. At that very half-turned instant, an empty cab miraculously appeared. I even praised the Lord.

"Screw you, Satan," I breathed resolutely, refusing to enter the trap. I marched towards the LCD outside the sealed portcullis where today's sermon was being screened from inside to the outcast tribe of late-comers. The pastor was telling a story:

One day Satan gathered his 3 apprentices and asked them: how will you keep man away from the kindgom of Heaven?

"I will tell him that there is no God," said the first. Don't be stupid, replied Satan, for man will always know of his creator, no matter how far away he perceives Him to be.

"I will tell him that there is no Hell," said the second. Very tempting, replied Satan, but man will always know that Hell exists, borne of the conscience from the fruit of his sin.

"I will tell him that there is no hurry," said the third. Excellent, replied Satan, now go and bring ruin upon all mankind.

Is it just me, or do I seem to be in a lose-lose situation here?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently caught up with a few old classmates. One of them was telling abt his new woman friend, and the factors tt might affect whether they wld take it beyond friendship.
"... but she isn't christian, she's agnostic."

another classmate says, "tt's not so bad, that means she at least believes in a god of some kind"

I decide to keep quiet.

another says,
"you could influence her..."

A part of me wanted to speak freely with them abt non-belief... But I was the one out in class. I *think* they know. I've never discussed it with them. But I've always wanted to. I kept quiet.

10:50 AM

 
Blogger Terry said...

after all these years, i've learnt that the best thing to do is to keep quiet.

do i know you?

8:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home