Beat Around The Bush
Finally caught the legendary Vagina Monologues. Rather then being a celebratory piece of the times, it was just a pointlessly rambling objectification of the female as either housewife, sex-maniac, spinster, sphincter, rape-victim or dominatrix.
Years ago, the performance doubtlessly made an impact. But now, just imagine an actor with tears, summoning the monumental courage to painfully relive how her "vagina was like a sleepy little fishing village, till the soldiers came, and now there's no more fish!"
Ok, some of it was pretty good. I enjoyed Nora Samosir's *Masters Of The Sea* 70 year old American who paints her vagina as the "leaky cellar where nobody goes". But what's with all this imagery? You don't hear men likening their penises to "faulty piping awaiting plumber" or the "Eiffel Tower"..... oh wait...
Thwack me all you want: obviously I don't have the anatomy required to identify with the main theme. But I'll be damned if I did - being none the wiser after the performance. I'm thankful for having caught it, and coming out with an opinion. And I'm thankful that in our world today, there is no XY equivalent of this little piece of fancy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home