Old Friends
My outing with David, Jeremy, Chris and Darius yesterday felt warmly familiar, yet strangely disconsolate. Through 7 years of differing timezones and diverging lives we struggled to keep in touch. But yesterday, the five of us finally managed to meet up for dinner.
We recalled teenage school afternoons in Ghim Moh Mac's, wolfing down nuggets by the twenties. We gossipped about old classmates, hazarding upon their whereabouts. We grumbled about the food. We strolled along the windy river, down Millenia Walk, and went for coffee and dessert. Finally, we found ourselves at Darius' house, giggling over his Xbox. It was a perfect time, enjoyed all the more, I think, for its brevity.
In the car-ride home we tuned in to 93.3FM. Jeremy, in his astronaut's monotone, said :"I like listening to Chinese pop late at night. They never play anything upbeat, only the slow, sentimental songs."
Why will I remember this? Perhaps because 7 years ago, I would have just shrugged it off.

2 Comments:
strangely, it was I who shrugged it off this time...
i can't tell if i miss that old me yet.
jerome
8:44 PM
Wonderful: a reversal of fortunes.
2:59 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home